Tuesday, 14th April, 2020
Ignite Wanaka Board member Randal Dobbs shares his real-time and virtual bubbles with us. Randal's a busy man, not only running his business Framework Marketing, but is also involved with Ignite, the local BNI, kids' sailing, the startup community through SQL and is the Chair of Kahu Youth Trust.
𝗪𝗵𝗼’𝘀 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗻𝗲𝘄 𝗰𝗼-𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸𝗲𝗿 & 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗳𝗳 𝗯𝘂𝗯𝗯𝗹𝗲?
• In real time - my wife Mandy and our golden Labrador “Flick” 🐕 . Both think they can just wander into my office without knocking or bringing gifts 🎁 . And often do. So much for winning that battle.
• In virtual time our bubble 🗨️ includes our adult sons 👨👩👦 , two in London and one in New York 🗽 . So heaps of time-wasting on Boris & Trump jokes 🃏 . Jacinda wins that one. Also a daughter and son-in-law in the North Island with their 4 kids. We daily Zoom or on the family WhatsApp.
• Reading 📚 Slinky Malinky and Monster Slime most days to our 4 grand kids under 5 years on Zoom. A bloody riot - they know if I miss a page the little mites...
𝗠𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗽𝗼𝘀𝗶𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗸𝗱𝗼𝘄𝗻?
• 📴 Silence - for thinking
• 📴 Silence - for having conversations with neighbours, while in the sun 😎 standing in the middle of the road - no traffic for hours on end 🚗 🚙 🚓 .
• 📴 Silence - oh yeah - forgot about family zoom-time - that's a zoo 🐯 🦁 🐵 🦓 🐆
𝗠𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗸𝗱𝗼𝘄𝗻?
• Not being overwhelmed with info - so you can tell clients not to be overwhelmed with info.
• 📵 Not answering the phone or the email or the FaceTime
• ✅ Finally getting the one page business plan into a workable state - nailed it! 👌
• 📚 Audible books while wandering the Clutha river tracks and hopefully having our Labrador follow me till we get home
• Mastering the art of home coffee-making ☕ . It’s a work-in-progress to be honest.
𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁'𝘀 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘁𝗼𝗽 𝘁𝗶𝗽 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗽𝗵𝘆𝘀𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗹𝘁𝗵𝘆?
• Routine, relax, routine, relax, routine, relax etc - in whatever time frames you want
• 🤩 Toss in a little crazy every so often
• Also some humour is good too. If it’s too edgy or not PC, just say “a mate sent this to me and ask I pass it on !!!"
𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁'𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗯𝘂𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗲𝘀 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗱𝗼 𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗽 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗖𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗱 𝟭𝟵?
• Don’t panic, seriously, it’ll work out and the longer the disruption, the more time you’ll have to get used to the ”new normal".
• 💬 Talk to staff, partners, customers - all your groups, and often.
• Think lucky. In NZ we are so lucky - overseas is mayhem so stop watching the news. We have a single, strong, capable, decisive, 95% “getting it right" Government.