Wednesday, 27th May, 2020
While the role of Ignite Wanaka is to grow and connect our business community, we also have a role to play in the nurturing of of our future business leaders. For years, the Ignite Wanaka Board and our members have worked closely with Mt Aspiring College to ensure our youth community is well connected to our business community through opportunities such as work experience and the Young Enterprise Scheme (YES) programme.
A period of forced lockdown enabled us to rethink how we can work closer together and we are looking at bringing members of our business community together with students to improve their knowledge and learning.
MAC students value opportunities to connect with local employers and industries to explore the world of work and to identify where their own skills and talents might fit. Identifying possible future pathways adds value and meaning to a student’s career and academic pathway; research shows that young people make better career and academic choices when involved in some type of work based learning.
Our region has wonderful local employers and opportunities for young people, many of which are ‘hidden’ or not considered by our youth as viable future options. MAC and Ignite want to build on the already strong community connections and grow our database of community contacts.
We’d initially like to present a panel to senior students at MAC to give them a local business perspective on the Covid event and how the event has impacted on your business - negatively or positively?
We invite you to register your interest for this by contacting Naomi on firstname.lastname@example.org
Some of the other ways you might work with MAC students;
- Collaborate; get some youth opinion or perspective on the way you do business
- A workspace tour and a chat
- A day of work exploration; the student ‘shadows’ someone in your team for a day
- A regular work day/half day slot once a week for youth to experience the reality of the work environment and to assist with tasks
- Mentor a student; share your own career pathway/s and offering support
- Involvement in Students in the Community if you run a non-profit
If you would like to be involved or have any queries or suggestions we would love to hear from you.